This could be called the Crazy SEO-Content Challenge.
Because I’ve nailed my colours to the mast and have publicly put my neck (or my reputation) on the line.
If you are reading this page, you will know I’m planning to demonstrate how to launch and rank a renewable energy website.
Being in the business of running content marketing — and related services — it would be remiss of me if I wasn’t able to prove I was capable of building a wind power site from scratch.
Most people would have seen evidence of this with my launch of Windpowermonthly.com for Haymarket in 2010.
At the same time, it was easier to rank back then and the domain already had some link juice prior to Haymarket buying it in 2009.
To be honest, haven’t delved into the wind sector since my work on Ongreentech and some corporate reports for Haymarket.
Despite the consolidation, it’s a fun sector to revisit.
A couple of months ago I bought a domain called windturbiner.com. I think I got it more out of surprise that it was still available than what I could do with it.
As things stand, it has been dropped into WordPress with some other basic elements. This includes some branding ($13 from Fiverr), an email sign-up via MailChimp (a waste of time as I’ll probably change to another application), and a couple of ‘tentpole’ editorial features.
Obviously, those features are missing (most of) the pegs (smaller pages).
The rough aim of the site will be to provide a resource for people who work in the wind industry. But the focus will be on technology.
Unlike Ongreentech, it will more or less be a straight blog. The only sign up will be for the newsletter and possibly comments, provided they don’t get spammed too much.
Ok, this is a difficult one. Recharge pulls in around 120,000 impressions a month. It has a news team and its been going since early-2010.
And it does solar.
It has 1000s of top-notch pages.
So lets aim for:
- 20,000 impressions a month in six months time.
- 1,000 email subscribers
- 500 YouTube subscribers
- On a budget of £500
How am I going to do it
Judging by the bell curve of things, this will be a tall order. Most of the traffic traction probably won’t happen until month four.
In addition to the main site, I have set up some social profiles for Windturbiner.
Most of them – other than Twitter – are new accounts. The Twitter one is built on top of the old Ongreentech account, which has around 3,500 followers.
I also have some other Facebook pages with 2000-ish followers.
Other than that, it is a case of picking interesting subjects, producing good content, and getting the stuff out there.
To document this I’m going to be running a regular update on how I’m doing. The links will be on this page, so be sure to bookmark it if you’re interested.
Criteria for having done it
Essentially, I’ll be using Ahrefs as a marker. Using that, I’ll be looking for a DR of around 40 and ranking for around 100 keywords.
Disclaimer: these goalposts may move.
Anything is possible if you stick with it long enough. The main issue will be to get out of the Google Sandbox, which all new sites go through.
That will be explained in the next post.
At the moment, the main focus is setting up the static pages and the base content of around five major, and five smaller, features.
This will run across wind turbines, wind turbine manufacturers, and wind turbine servicing companies.
One thing, it won’t be is news based. There will be key content differences that will become apparent.
The overall aim is to show you can build a site on a fraction of the pages a regular news site would have.
And spend relatively little money or time.
Oh well, I’ve got the accountability sorted. Hopefully, I won’t regret it in six months time.